How our senior and youth teams fared at the weekend

posted in: Men, News, Northern League, Women, Youth

Draws marked a frustrating weekend for Cambridge FC’s senior men’s teams.

Five of the club’s seven senior teams came off the pitch with 2-2 draws, all of which hindered efforts to climb competition tables.

Here’s how our teams fared this weekend (July 25-26):

Lotto NRFL second division

Fencibles United 2 Cambridge 2

The Reds took a point in a tight match at Fencibles United, thanks to goals from the Clarkin brothers, Josh and Daniel.

Click here for match details >>>>

Fencibles United Reserves 5, Cambridge Reserves 1

The reserves lost 5-1 in the early game to Fencibles who are top of the competition with six wins from six outings.

Click here for match details >>>>

WaiBOP Championship

Cambridge 2 Hamilton Wanderers 2

Cambridge were forced to settle for a draw against 10th-placed Wanderers at John Kerkhof Park, despite the visitors being reduced to 10 men.

Click here for match details >>>>

Waikato Senior Men’s

Waikato Division Two: Hamilton Wanderers Classics 3 Cambridge 2

League leaders Wanderers snatched a late win against third-placed Cambridge, scoring their winner in the last couple of minutes’ play.

Cambridge coach Chris Petropoulos felt his side had earned a draw but they gave up a late goal for the second week in a row.

Despite that, he said he was proud of the team’s performance against a decent Wanderers team.

Both teams traded first-half goals to go into the break at 2-2.

Scorers for Cambridge were Josh Mayo and Patrick Woodlock.

Co-winners of the Player of the Day were defender Alex Ball and Theo Petropoulos, both of whom worked hard and delivered strong performances.

Waikato Division Five: Cambridge D1s 2 Cambridge D2s 2

The long-awaited clash between Cambridge’s D1 and D2 sides did not disappoint with honours even in terms of the score, and enough controversial moments to keep players debating the outcome for months … or until the teams meet next.

Jamie Coomber put the D1s ahead after five minutes before Daniel Cattley levelled in a goalmouth scramble after 15′.

The D1s took the lead again when Ben Ward struck a shot that rebounded off the post for Fabian Burgos to tap into the net.

The rest of the half produced a disallowed goal for the D2s and a couple of hotly-disputed decisions while referee Ben Feaver remained the coolest head on the athletics ground pitch.

In the second half, the D2s levelled after Andrew Myers raced down the wing and crossed for Chris Dodds to put away the chance.

The D2s had a chance to win the game with a free-kick just outside the box. Mat Vink found the head of Steve Barrott and his header looked a certain winner until D1 ‘keeper Paul Macann found enough reach to tip the ball over the bar.

Player of the Day for the D2s was Chris Dodds.

The result leaves the D1s ahead of their club rivals by a point while the D2s continue to search for their first win of the year, having drawn four times.

Main photo: The teams line up before kick-off.

Click here to relive memories of D1 v D2 encounters from the past >>>>

Photo gallery

From the July 2020 ‘classico’ between the D1 and D2 teams – please click on image to open to full size:

Women’s team

Waikato Division 2: Te Awamutu 2 Cambridge 2

Cambridge remain in the title hunt after this 2-2 draw with Te Awamutu who led the competition going into the game.

Click here for match details >>>>

Youth teams

Y-League: Cambridge 4 Otumoetai 2

Our U-14s got off to a flying start against Otumoetai in the WaiBOP Federation Y-League, scoring in the first minute through Theo Susilla.

A second goal from Susilla (12′) and another from Lucah de Roo (29′) ensured that Cambridge went into the half-time break with a 3-1 advantage.

The teams were evenly matched in the second half, each scoring once with Noah Cody (61′) completing Cambridge’s scoring.

The result leaves Cambridge in second place, just two points behind unbeaten Rotorua United who drew 1-1 at Melville United.

J-League: Cambridge 0 Claudelands Rovers 1

Our U-12s lost 1-0 at home to Claudelands Rovers in the WaiBOP Federation J-League.

Cambridge played well and dominated for long periods of the game in both possession and field position with the Rovers ‘keeper making good saves.

Midway through the first half, the visitors took the lead.

In the second half, Cambridge fought back but the post, the crossbar and a skilful goalkeeper kept them scoreless, enabling Claudelands to head back to Hamilton with the win.

Photo gallery

Annette Grey captured these photographs from the J-League game – please click on image to open to full size: