Taylor double keeps Red reserves’ campaign rolling

posted in: Men, News, Northern League

Two first-half goals from leading scorer Andrew Taylor propelled Cambridge reserves to a 3-1 win against Takapuna in the Lotto NRFL second division reserves league.

The win ensured Cambridge stay top of the competition after fending off the challenge of the third-placed Aucklanders.

Taylor put the Reds ahead with the first goal of the game in the 24th minute when both sides were matching each other for  midfield possession.

In the 32nd minute, Callum Rowe levelled for Takapuna.

Five minutes later, Taylor scored his second, blasting a shot from a tight angle past the Takapuna ‘keeper at the near post. It was the goal of a striker full of confidence as the shot required perfect accuracy but it gave Taylor his 15rh goal of the season, his best return since joining Cambridge nine years ago.

The second half was even with both teams making forays into the opposition half without producing any clear cut chances.

Cambridge finally got a break in the 82nd minute when Toby Hartley refused to give up on a chase and won the 50/50 challenge with a defender, and saw the ball squeeze into the far corner of the goal.

Takapuna hit the post with a late effort but Cambridge comfortably ran down the clock to remain league leaders as the season reaches its halfway stage.

Coach’s reaction

Reds’ assistant coach Nick Sickelmore said his side’s pre-match preparation had been based around building intensity and it had paid off.

He said the joint players of the day were Jordan Silvester and Johnny Sanchez.

First team

The Cambridge first team lost 3-2 to league leaders Takapuna. Click here for match report.

Match sponsor

Photo gallery (1)

Photo gallery (2)

Click here for a collection of images from this match by Cambridge FC photographer Louis Roberts.

Matchday magazine

Our NRFL squad

Click here for bio’s of the Reds’ first team squad

Fixture list

Click here to see who the Reds play next 


Click here for our first team performances since joining the Northern League in 1972