Reds reserves carry on winning way

posted in: Men, News, Northern League

Cambridge reserves cruised to a comfortable 4-0 win against bottom-placed Ngongotaha in the Lotto NRFL second division reserves league.

The win was made more difficult for table toppers Cambridge who had to play most of the game with 10 minutes after the sending off of striker Aaron Huesser in the 35th minute.

Cambridge got off to a flying start when Huesser scored twice in the opening half hour.

His athleticism enabled him to win possession in tight positions, leading to both goals and also to his sending off which followed a collision with a Ngongotaha defender who attempted to tackle him as he shot for goal (see main photo).

The Reds went into the interval 2-0 up and decided to hold onto possession in the second half, making the visitors do a lot of chasing at John Kerkhof Park.

The strategy paid off and Cambridge went 3-0 up after 55 minutes through the hard-working Johnny Sanchez.

Cambridge continued to have most of the scoring opportunities as the game wore on and striker Adam Brady picked up the Reds’ fourth goal in the last minute, neatly passing the ball past Ngongotaha ‘keeper Andrew Gibbs.

The Reds lead the second division reserves competition, having won their last four games.

While the team has been prolific in front of goal, the team’s defence has been rock solid, conceding only once in the past six hours of football played by the team.

Video coverage

Watch Aaron Huesser’s second goal and here what coach Mike Taylor had to say afterwards:

Photo gallery (1)

Photo gallery (2)

The following collection of images were taken by Cambridge FC official photographer Louis Roberts:

First team

Cambridge drew 2-2 with Ngongotaha in the Lotto NRFL second division.

Please check here for updates and match report.

Match sponsor

Matchday magazine

Our NRFL squad

Click here for bio’s of the Reds’ first team squad

Fixture list

Click here to see who the Reds play next 


Click here for our first team performances since joining the Northern League in 1972