Reds bow to champions Takapuna in final game of season

posted in: Men, News, Northern League

Cambridge have completed their first Northern League season in six years with a respectable 7th placing in the 12-team second division.

The Reds finished their Lotto NRFL second division campaign with a 2-0 loss at Taharoto Park, the home of divisional champions Takapuna AFC.

The sides battled out a scoreless first half before Takapuna’s Ben Allan broke the deadlock in the 54th minute.

Matthew Chant made sure of the win with his side’s second goal, seven minutes from full-time.

Today’s results mean Papakura City get the wooden spoon and Te Atatu finish second bottom and both face relegation to the AFF/NFF Conference.

Onehunga Mangere United narrowly missed relegation, despite losing today, because Papakura and Te Atatu could only draw their respective fixtures.

Lotto NRFL second division

Results from today’s games:

Northland FC 2 (Liam Manaton 8′, Jordan Rudman 51′)
Te Atatu 2 (Andrew Dalton 36′ 90′)
HT 1-1

Takapuna AFC 2 (Ben Allan 54′, Matthew Chant 83′)
Cambridge FC 0
HT 0-0

Metro FC 2 (John Workman 45′, Josh Chemis 75′)
Onehunga Mangere United 1 (Carl Bickerton 84′)
HT 1-0

Bucklands Beach AFC 2 (Daniel Culpan 20′, Paul Edgar 67′)
Claudelands Rovers 0
HT 1-0

Albany United 2 (Joe Lenton 32′, John Curwen 63′)
Papakura City FC 2 (George Winship 19′, Ben Mata 90′)
HT 1-1

Franklin United 5 (Lewis Tiller 8′, Will Burdon 12′ [PEN], Charlie ‘Chico’ Heather 52′, Andrew Lamborn 87′, Kartik Kumar 89′)
Ngongotaha AFC 3 (Cormac Waller 33′ 45+1′, Aaron Lawrence 90+2′)
HT 2-2

League table


In the early game, the Reds lost their final game 6-2 to Takapuna which meant the Aucklanders took out the reserves competition title.

Click here for match report.

Our NRFL squad

Click here for bio’s of the Reds’ first team squad

Fixture list

Click here to see all this season’s results with links to match reports


Click here for our first team performances since joining the Northern League in 1972