How our senior and youth teams fared at the weekend

Cambridge FC’s D2s created team history by winning their fourth win in a row – a feat never achieved since the team was established about a decade ago.

The side beat Waikato Unicol 3-2, prompting team celebrations.

Our fixtures

Here’s how our teams fared at the weekend (August 29-30):

Lotto NRFL second division

Cambridge v Beachlands-Maraetai – postponed

Cambridge’s Northern League double header against Auckland club Beachlands-Maraetai was postponed due to the level 3 lockdown preventing travel between our regions.

WaiBOP Championship

No fixture

While our championship side had no fixture this weekend, supporters were closely watching the result of the Whakatane Town v Hamilton Wanderers game as the result would decide whether Cambridge go into the top six play-offs for the rest of the season.

Town won the match 2-0, meaning Cambridge finish 7th in the full round of 11 fixtures.

In the second stage of the season, Cambridge will play Te Puke United (8th), Tauranga City (9th), Tauranga Old Blues (10th), Hamilton Wanderers (11th) and Waikato Unicol (12th).

Click here for remaining WaiBOP Championship fixture list >>>>

Waikato Senior Men’s

Waikato Division Two: Cambridge 2 Northern United Debacles 1

The opening quarter hour was evenly contested but Cambridge took the lead when leading scorer Peter Buesnel timed his run well for a tap-in in the 16th minute.

Taking the lead settled Cambridge down and they started to wear down United’s resistance.

The home side doubled their lead on the half-hour when evergreen Jason Szabo expertly turned a free kick into the net with a well-directed header.

Cambridge ‘keeper Jan Henk Bertelink made a couple of excellent saves late in the half.

The sides went into the break with Cambridge leading 2-0 but United staged a second half fightback, and pulled back a goal.

Goalkeeper Berterlink and central defender Thomas Gifford shared the Player of the Day honours

The 2-1 win leaves Cambridge firmly in third place with a six-win and one-draw record from their 10 games.

The competition leaders are Hamilton Wanderers who went into the weekend with a record of 10 straight wins.

Photo gallery

Main photo and below: Coverage of the Division Two match – please click on image to open to full size

Waikato Division Five: Cambridge D2s 3 Waikato Unicol 2

Cambridge’s in-form D2s had to keep their nerve against a determined Waikato Unicol side before landing their fourth successive competition win.

Unicol struck first, converting a penalty after a Cambridge handball in the box.

Cambridge drew level though midfielder Phillip Curin when he scrambled the ball into the net from a corner.

The teams turned around 1-1 at the Athletics Ground but took the lead from the penalty spot when goalkeeper Cole van den Beuken beat his opposite number.

Chris Hill extended Cambridge’s lead to 3-1 when he found the bottom corner with a shot from outside the box.

As the rain came down, Unicol fought hard and reduced the lead with half an hour to go.

Cambridge nerves held firm and the win created history – four in a row! The result leaves the D2s in fourth place.

Player of the day was van den Beuken for a couple of good saves in the second half.

Above: The D1s (and supporters) at Galloway Park.

Waikato Division Five: Claudelands Rovers 1 Cambridge D1s 1

Cambridge returned from Hamilton’s Galloway Park with a 1-1 draw against Claudelands Rovers.

Cambridge opened the scoring through Adrian Walworth who netted from close range.

Rovers trailed for most of the game but did not give up and were rewarded with the equaliser 10 minutes from time.

The D1s remain in sixth place on the league ladder.

Women’s Waikato Division 2

Thames 4 Cambridge 3

Cambridge’s eight-match unbeaten run is over – but only after a tense top-of-the-table clash with competition leaders Thames won 4-3 by the Coromandel side.

Click here for match details >>>>

Youth teams

Y-League: Rotorua United 3 Cambridge 2

Our U-14s lost 3-2 at Rotorua United in the WaiBOP Federation Y-League. The sides were tied 0-0 at the break but Rotorua shaded a much-improved Cambridge in the second spell.

J-League: Claudelands Rovers 2 Cambridge 4

Our U-12s headed to Hillcrest Stadium where they beat Claudelands Rovers 4-2 in the WaiBOP Federation J-League.

The first half see-sawed as the game was controlled by two strong backlines and goalkeepers.

Cambridge took the lead late in the half when Jesse Macdonald headed an excellent cross into the net.

Leading 1-0, Cambridge started to exert their dominance in the second half.

Luke Brooke-Smith doubled his side’s lead, prompting a Rovers fightback which led to a goal for the home side.

Macdonald and Brooke-Smith both added second goals before Rovers scored a consolation goal.

The team has two more fixtures in which they play Bay of Plenty opponents in a crossover of the Waikato and BoP competitions.