How our senior and youth teams fared at the weekend

posted in: Men, News, Northern League, Women, Youth

Cambridge teams recorded good wins in the Waikato senior men’s competitions with the club’s Division 1 and Division 4 teams securing maximum points.

Overall, it was a weekend of mixed results but all the club’s senior teams have won at least once this season now, with the Division 1 team and the Over 35’s Team 2 landing their first victories.

Here’s how our teams fared:

Waikato Division 1

Claudelands Rovers 1, Cambridge 3

Cambridge got their first win of the season, beating Claudelands Rovers at Galloway Park.

After losing their opening game last week to Rovers’ other team in the competition, Chris Petropoulos’ side were keen to redress the balance and they started well, despite playing into a strong wind.

Joe Gifford gave Cambridge the lead but Rovers levelled to send the teams into the interval on even terms.

In the second half, Keyson Mackey, in his first season of senior football, provided the cross for Kieran Ashburner to head Cambridge into a 2-1 lead.

Striker Peter Buesnel pushed Cambridge’s lead out to 3-1 with an individual effort, ensuring the win.

Player of the Day was Joe Gifford.

Waikato Division 4

Cambridge 2 Putaruru Rangers 0

Cambridge’s fourth division side continued their winning form with a well-earned 2-0 win against Putaruru Rangers.

The sides fought an even first half and turned around 0-0.

In the second spell, Cambridge took charge with Shane Gray providing the through-ball for Andrew Myers to get into a one-on-one with the Rangers goalkeeper. Myers calmly placed the ball past the ‘keeper and into the net.

Twenty minutes later, Gray broke down the left flank and crossed hard and low for Myers to easily tap in to double Cambridge’s lead.

The turning point in the match came when Putaruru were awarded a penalty that was saved by goalkeeper Saxon Edwards. As the ball rebounded, an opposition player was judged to have made a dangerous challenge and was sent off, leaving Rangers to finish the match with ten men.

The Cambridge side, who were undefeated in pre-season, have now won both their league fixtures and are yet to concede a goal.

Main photo: The Cambridge Division 4 squad for 2021

Photo gallery (Division 4)

Click on image to open to full size

Over 35s League

Cambridge D1s 0, Ngaruawahia United 4

It was mostly one-way traffic in this match played at the Cambridge Athletics Ground with the visitors finding most of the goalscoring opportunities and then converting them.

Only an excellent performance from Cambridge goalkeeper Paul Macann, who made a couple of acrobatic saves, helped prevent a heavier defeat.

Ngaruawahia United line up another shot against Cambridge.

Northern United Old Boys 1 Cambridge (Team 2) 3

Cambridge Team 2 registered their first win in the new Over-35s competition with a strong second-half performance away at Northern United.

With the game scoreless at half-time, Northern United took the lead in the 50th minute.

That was the trigger for Cambridge to enjoy a 15-minute spell in which they scored three times through Jonno Court (60′), Gareth Bird (70′) and Gary Smith (75′).

The side was missing player-coach Nick Sickelmore who helped the club’s goalkeeper shortage this weekend by donning the gloves for the U-23 reserves.

Lotto NRFL second division

Papatoetoe 1, Cambridge 4

Cambridge won their third fixture in a row, beating Papatoetoe 4-1.

Click here for match details, other scores and updated league table >>>>

Papatoetoe U23 6, Cambridge U23 0

In the U-23s reserves competition, Cambridge lost 6-0 to Papatoetoe.

Click here for match details >>>>

WaiBOP Championship

Cambridge 2, Tokoroa 3

Cambridge blew a 2-0 half-time lead to lose at home to 10-man Tokoroa in this top-of-the-table clash.

Click here for match details, other scores and updated league table >>>>

Women’s Waikato Division 2

Cambridge had a bye this weekend.

Sunday: WaiBOP Y-League

Claudelands Rovers U-15s 4 Cambridge U-15s 2

Claudelands took the initiative in the first half, going into the break with a 2-0 lead thanks to goals in the 8th and 33rd minutes.

In the second half, Cambridge pulled a goal back in the 50th minute through Cameron Smith but Rovers then scored twice to push the score out to 4-1.

Cambridge continued to push forward and got their reward when Lucah De Roo scored his side’s second goal in the 76th minute.

Cambridge U-13s had a bye this weekend.