Striker notches hat-trick of headers in winning return to John Kerkhof Park

posted in: Men, News, Northern League

Striker Maksim Manko made a triumphant return to John Kerkhof Park with a match-winning hat-trick for Onehunga Mangere United against Cambridge.

Manko was a familiar face at the Cambridge ground when he played for WaiBOP United, the national league side who were based at the club in 2014-15.

But his latest visit to John Kerkhof Park spoiled the day for Cambridge who suffered their biggest loss of the Lotto NRFL second division season, losing 5-1 to the league leaders.

Manko gave United a 4th-minute lead, heading home a corner.

He doubled the Aucklanders’ lead after 20 minutes, scoring a similar goal, again from a corner.

That goal spurred the Reds into their best spell of play and a five-man move was neatly finished by winger Ewan Donald who found the net after 34 minutes.

That’s how the teams went into the half-time break.

Just past the hour mark, United went 3-1 up with Scott Lewis heading home from a corner.

The Reds pushed back hard and were rewarded with a penalty a few minutes later.

Donald whacked his shot against the post and United scrambled the ball clear. He then picked up his second yellow card, leaving the Reds with 10 men for the last 20 minutes of the game.

Almost immediately, Manko completed his hat-trick, heading home from a free kick.

Max Kwan came off the subs’ bench to complete United’s scoring in the 85th minute.

The result keeps Onehunga Mangere – who celebrated their club’s 100th birthday last week – in pole position on the table while Cambridge are sixth in a congested midtable bunch.

The Reds’ next game is at Auckland’s Franklin United next Saturday (May 29) starting at 3pm.

Both teams observed a minute’s silence before kick-off in memory of Cambridge Life Member Rod Larnach who died last year. The gameday at John Kerkhof Park was called Rod Larnach Day as a mark of respect.

Photo gallery

Our club’s official photographer Louis Roberts captured the following action from the game – please click on image to open to full size.

Team sheet

Second division results

Greenhithe FC 1 (Matias Miranda 28’)
Fencibles United 3 (Own Goal 21’, Luke Bulay 29’, Josh Harford 56’)
HT 1-2

Hibiscus Coast AFC 1 (Daniel Cyra 48’)
Oratia United 2 (Philippe Poletaev 90’, Michael Graham 90+4’)
HT 0-0

Claudelands Rovers 0
Beachlands Maraetai 2 (Own Goal 14’, Jamie Birch 72’)
HT 0-1

Cambridge FC 1 (Ewan Donald 24’)
Onehunga Mangere United 5 (Maksim Manko 4’ 20’ 72’, Scott Lewis 65’, Mark Kwan 85’)
HT 1-2

Northland FC 1 (Daniel Romer 90’)
Uni-Mount Bohemian 1 (Ismet Kizilata 30’)
HT 0-1

Papatoetoe AFC 2 (Shalvin Prasad 6’, KT Kanon 33’ – PEN)
Franklin United 3 (Own Goal 12’, Henry Fa’arodo 32’, Tim Richardson 47’ – PEN)
HT 2-2

League table

U-23s game

In the U-23s reserves game, Onehunga Mangere United beat Cambridge 6-1 after leading 2-1 at half-time.

Click here for match details, other results and updated table >>>>

Golden Boot

Click here to see who’s scored this season’s goals for Cambridge’s senior teams >>>>

Fixture list

Click here to see who the Reds play in 2021 >>>>